Quote Me: My Favorite Bookish Quotes

  Instead of posting a review today, I decided to unleash my favorite bookish quotes on everyone. Back in the days of Myspace, I had a million quotes on my page. Yes, I was that person.

  Edgar Allan Poe is, and always will be, one of my favorite authors/poets. My most favorite quote in the entire world belongs to him. It's from the poem Annabel Lee, which is very fitting since I'm reading a book based on the poem, Dissever. I'm planning on using it in my wedding vows. And now the secret is out. (Hi, Chris!)

But we loved with a love that was more than love.

  I have a confession. I'm a terrible Fantasy genre fan. I have yet to read the A Song of Fire and Ice series. I haven't even watched Game of Thrones. I know. Terrible. It's on my to-do list, and I'll read them one day. But a quote I often see circulated is one by the author, George R. R. Martin. It sums up exactly how I feel about reading and why it's my passion.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

  My love of Indie authors goes deep. It's a new thing for me that I only discovered recently. But since I picked up my first Indie book, I've been hooked. There is so much talent out there. If someone is brave enough to put their heart and soul into a book then publish it, I'm going to read it. There are always hidden gems with the Indie authors. Sometimes it just feels good to be the first one to discover an amazing Indie book and watch it grow as more and more readers fall in love with it, too. I think that's why I love this quote by Haruki Murakami from Norwegian Wood.

If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

  Reading is something I'm passionate about. I've been a reader since I was a tiny little thing. During elementary school, I lived for the book fair. (Who didn't love Goosebumps and those cute erasers of cupcakes, dogs, and the most random things imaginable?!) When I have children, I will always have two wishes for them. The first is that they're always inquisitive about the world around them. The second is that they will inherit their mother's love of reading. I won't even care if my teenager tells me one day that she loves Twilight. I'll just be happy that she's found a book that gets her excited about reading. This quote from Maya Angelou sums it up for me.

Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.

  It's true what I said above about always loving books, even as a child. But my true passion for reading came from J.R.R. Tolkien. I've always had my nose in a book. My Christmas wish lists as a child always contained several books that I wanted Santa to bring. But I never knew what falling in love with reading felt like until I cracked open the cover of The Fellowship of the Ring. After reading through the three parts of The Lord of the Rings, I immediately read them again. Since then, I've amassed quite a hoard of Tolkien's books, and I cannot get enough. You can have Hogwarts; Middle Earth is my home. I thought about posting my favorite quote from The Lord of the Rings, but instead I want to share the opening line. Every time I read it, it feels like I'm coming home again.

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.

What are some of your favorite bookish quotes? Leave them in the comments below! 


2 comments:

  1. Lovely quotes! I share a quote of the week each Friday over on Second Run Reviews. Today's GoodReads quote of the day is one of my favorites.

    If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. Toni Morrison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to start taking a peek at your quote when I drop by for F&F on Friday's! I love the Goodreads quote. I would get lost if I stayed on Goodreads looking at quotes all day. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...