My Favorite Fictional Mothers: A Top Five List for Mother's Day

via
  Mother's Day is always bittersweet for me. The person I consider my mother, who's actually my grandmother, passed away nine years ago. I'll be spending part of Mother's Day at the graveyard on a quilt next to my grandmother's grave. It's something I do often. Even now, she's still my best friend. The other half, I'll be spending it with my boyfriend and his mother. I adore my (soon-to-be) mother-in-law. She's an incredible woman, and I love her so much. I will never be able to tell her how thankful I am that she raised Chris to be the man that he is. She gave me one of the greatest gifts of my life, and I have so much respect for her.

  Alright, I've made myself cry. Moving on. In honor of Mother's Day, I wanted to share my favorite fictional mothers with everyone! Below is a short list of some of the mothers (and grandmothers!) I admire from my favorite books and I aspire to emulate whenever I become a mother. Don't forget to leave your picks in the comments below!

Molly Weasley
What can I say? Even though I'd skip out on having the ginger hair, I want to be a Weasley for no reason other than Mrs. Weasley. When I have children, I hope to be the type of mother she is.

Adele "Gran" Stackhouse
It's obvious that I have a lot of love for The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris. Rag on them all you want. I love these books. The characters are a main reason why, and Gran was one of my favorites. I miss her. She reminded me so very much of my own grandmother.

Miss Honey
from Matilda
Don't tell me that I was only one who wept whenever Miss Honey finally adopted Matilda. 

Lily Potter
from Harry Potter
She shows exactly how far a mother's love goes.

Marmee
 Marmee is very much the ideal mother. She's a mother I'll aspire to be, but I'll never beat myself up whenever I don't rise to her saint-like status.

  We're all aware of the bad parent trope that is over-used in fiction, especially young adult. But I never imagined it would be this difficult to pick out five admirable maternal figures. But that's a post for a different day! Leave some of your favorites in the comments below.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! It's so great to see a post showcasing awesome moms in books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly and Lily >>>> A lot of people don't even talk about Lily which is lame. She's such a strong and powerful character in Harry's life, a long with his dad. Love your post!

    Amber @ bookish wonders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I love Gran from Sookie, both the book version and the TV version.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...